Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Find Your Birthday or Phone Number in Pi

Princeton University has a site with the mathematical constant, pi, listed to 10 million digits. Readers are invited to search/find their phone number or other favorite numerical sequence in pi. I found my phone number - 7 digits, not 10-digit number, early in the the full sequence.

Tests of random numbers look for that n-digit length of numerical sequences are found with equal frequency in a sufficiently long sequence. I found my 7-digit phone number, but not unexpectedly, not my full 10-digit number, in the listing of pi. My 7-digit phone number represents one of 10 million listings so I wasn't surprised when my 7-digit number showed up. With a listing of pi's digits to more digits, I might find my full 10-digit phone number.

To try this exercise for yourself, go to the Princeton website linked above, and use your browser's "find on this page" tool to enter the numerical sequence of your choice. For my example, I used Microsoft Edge and the "find" tool is Control-F. Matching sequences on the page are highlighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in Mathematics

(Image: Hypatia by  Jules Maurice Gaspard , public domain) I recently re-read Instant Mathematics (see prior post:   https://jamesmacmath.bl...

Popular in last 30 days