Monday, May 11, 2020

Fractals

Upon reading that I had started a Math Blog, a colleague sent me a short, yet encouraging, message that summarized a casual lesson I shared with him ten years ago "Fractals are everywhere." Rather than a review of the equations that create fractal patterns, I find it more satisfying when we see fractal patterns in nature. Checking up on a young cedar in my yard, I saw this example of a self-similar pattern in nature.





More examples and better photographs than mine are available at Fractals in Nature.

Update 7/11/2021 - Article in Science News: How Romanesco cauliflower forms its spiraling fractals 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in Mathematics

(Image: Hypatia by  Jules Maurice Gaspard , public domain) I recently re-read Instant Mathematics (see prior post:   https://jamesmacmath.bl...

Popular in last 30 days