Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Geometry for dummies - A book review

 


In high school, I remember enjoying geometry class. It was in this class where most students first learn about proofs, and I liked the satisfaction of putting together solid proofs for theorems based a collection of given facts. Recently, I searched out for books to re-learn these skills. My first book selected from the local library was too advanced. I felt hugely disappointed in not being able to follow the first proof presented. I returned that book and found Mark Ryan’s Geometry for dummies in the same section.

Ryan’s approach is to introduce a concept and show a proof based on it. Then, he gives the reader a chance to apply the concept to another proof. He then walks the reader through longer proofs using multiple concepts earlier introduced. The author has a very clear way of explaining the ideas that makes this book easier to read (especially compared to the first book I checked out).

The book gives the basics and some more advance concepts on angles, triangles, polygons, circles and has an introduction to 3-dimensional geometry.

The author's biography says Mark Ryan practiced law for four years before deciding he should do something he enjoys. To me, this isn't surprising. In another post, I introduced a famous lawyer who improved his debating skill by studying Euclid: Math Vacation: Abraham Lincoln - A President Trained by Euclid (jamesmacmath.blogspot.com)

Book Website: Geometry For Dummies, 3rd Edition | Wiley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in Mathematics

(Image: Hypatia by  Jules Maurice Gaspard , public domain) I recently re-read Instant Mathematics (see prior post:   https://jamesmacmath.bl...

Popular in last 30 days