Saturday, June 6, 2020

Project Euler


In response to reading my blog, a friend suggested that I join Project Euler. The site has over 700 problems to challenge its members by solving mathematical problems using programming. The group just crossed over one million members this year. 

As a fan of Grant Sanderson's 3Blue1Brown site and his many videos, I took his suggestion of improving my mathematical skill by learning new programming. It's been over 25 years since I did any serious programming, so my skills are rusty and outdated. I've been learning Python and slowly I've been able to solve some of the Euler Project challenges.



Here's an example of a problem from Project Euler

A Pythagorean triplet is a set of three natural numbers, a < b < c, for which,

a2 + b2 = c2

For example, 32 + 42 = 9 + 16 = 25 = 52.

There exists exactly one Pythagorean triplet for which a + b + c = 1000.
Find the product abc.


I gravitated toward this problem because one of my first posts on this blog dealt with Pythagorean Triples. I used the tip posted to get a head start in finding the desired triplet of (200, 375, 425). Achieving the correct answer was good reinforcement of Grant Sanderson's advice to learn new programming skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in Mathematics

(Image: Hypatia by  Jules Maurice Gaspard , public domain) I recently re-read Instant Mathematics (see prior post:   https://jamesmacmath.bl...

Popular in last 30 days