Friday, September 3, 2021

Book Review: It's a Numberful World: How Math Is Hiding Everywhere

 


I was recently asked why I read so many books about math. People say "haven't you already learned those concepts" or "what are you finding that is new." I keep reading more math books by different authors because I do find new ideas. Sure, it may be some concept that was taught to me years ago or that I read by another author, but I continue to learn from others who explain concepts a little differently than other teachers and authors. As a part-time educator, I'm appreciate new or different ways to explain mathematical concepts to students. 

Eddie Woo's book is packed with 26 bite-size chapters explaining concepts from number theory, knot theory, magic tricks, ciphers, mathematical proofs, and more. Each chapter has practical applications, explanations, and refreshingly good graphics (compliments to Alissa Dinallo). I highly recommend this book for parents or teachers of middle-school to high-school students and to others, like me, looking for a good read.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in Mathematics

(Image: Hypatia by  Jules Maurice Gaspard , public domain) I recently re-read Instant Mathematics (see prior post:   https://jamesmacmath.bl...

Popular in last 30 days