Saturday, April 2, 2022

μαθηματικός

 

It’s been two years since I started my blog about mathematics. Originally, I wanted to share some my views on mathematical concepts. Over time, as I researched each new post, the quest shifted to the expansion of my own learning. To share a mathematical concept, one must really learn the basis of how that concept works.

It is appropriate for my 100th blog posting to be on the etymology of the word “mathematics” or shorten to “maths” or for North Americans, “math.”

The English word mathematics is derived from the Greek, μάθημ, or mathema, which translates to “what one learns.” I’ve also seen the translation derived from μαθηματικός (mathēmatikós) which mean studious. These all seem appropriate for the those who enjoy learning about mathematics.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in Mathematics

(Image: Hypatia by  Jules Maurice Gaspard , public domain) I recently re-read Instant Mathematics (see prior post:   https://jamesmacmath.bl...

Popular in last 30 days